Weekend Warrior

mostly about cars, driving them, fixing them, rating them and occasionally fixing computers, phones and things around the house

HID Xenon Light conversion kit installation for a Mazda 3

I'm usually apprehensive about working on people's cars, but it's always interesting especially when it's something I would unlikely do. Don't get me wrong I like Xenon lights with their blue hue and all that. They look cool. I guess I should say I wouldn't do them right now. I have a long list other mods I would to do first, like the Android head unit, I just love those things. I would do that first.

Anyway I'm rambling, The Mazda 3 in question already had a previous after market Xenon installation it came with. The power units were attached with double sided tape to the chassis. I thought that was quite sketchy. I don't really trust double sided tape. I haven't had great experiences with it's reliability. I wouldn't trust sticking things with it next to the engine pulleys. I don't know what double sided tape the guy who installed it used but it was quite on there. It didn't look like it would have fallen off by itself but I don't like doing things I don't trust because there is nothing more worse than somebody saying "Ever since you worked on my car.....(add a list of problems here)". So I would rather just do something I trust.

The Phillips units I used came with thin metal brackets, nuts and bolts. This seemed more trustworthy for me, so I went with that. OEMs don't usually make random holes for people to use to customise their cars later, so finding places to put the brackets was a bit of a challenge. Like most right hand drive front wheel drive cars, there is a lot of space on the left side of the engine bay and not much on the right. I was able to find a bolt on the on the chassis to attach the unit to and there is a nice big hole to slot through the extra cables. On the right I was lucky to find an empty bolt hole on the main engine mounting. I'm not particularly sure what Mazda would usually use that for but I  happened to have a bolt that fits it perfectly in bin of bolts. So I was able to attach the unit there. The cable management was a bit tricky thought because on the right side there isn't much space and the last thing you want is for something to hook on the drive belt. I attached the cables loosely to the radiator coolant overflow hoses.

Anyway, I suppose we can call this a one day build. I don't know if I'm getting better or if this was easy. Either way it was half a day of improvising doing up and undoing and wrapping of insulation tape and at the end, The lights work, they are blue. I took it out on the road I know doesn't have street lights to get the full effect. They look much brighter than halogens. I have never had a car with xenons before so it was pretty cool. I still have the old kit I removed from the car. I wonder if I should install it on the Ironbelly or the yellowbone. Could be cool. I will think about it for a while, in anyway it won't be soon. 

Add comment

Loading